© 2008, Triangle Biotechnology Center
design by studioRADIA
The Clark & Sorrell Garage at 323 Foster Street in downtown Durham was built in 1932. It was the oldest repair garage still in operation in the city when it was closed in 2000. Leroy Clark and Donnie Sorrell founded the business in 1922 and occupied several existing commercial buildings prior to constructing this modern freestanding garage in the thriving tobacco warehouse district. The functional yet handsome brick and concrete building, with a well-lit facade and nearly unaltered interior, has significance as a tangible expression of the impact of the automobile on American vernacular architecture and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.